Day 14: God is my portion

Thought for the Day: “His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.’ ” (Lamentations 3:22–24)

The term “portion control” took on a whole new meaning for me one day when I read the response that God’s people had after Moses led them out of slavery in Egypt. God had performed several sensational miracles to help them escape their captors. Yet they panicked when food became scarce. They even asked to go back to slavery in Egypt where food was supposedly abundant. But God planned to use their desire for food to teach them about daily dependence upon Him.

As Israelites traveled through the desert, each morning God would rain down exactly what they needed for nourishment — a provision called “manna,” which I imagine was something like little, sweet, potato flakes. They were to collect just enough manna for the day. They couldn’t gather extra, except before the Sabbath day of rest, or it would rot. This daily process was intended to put them in the habit of dependence on God, and only God.

However, the Israelites began to grumble and turned their hearts against God. So He took them on a detour. Instead of heading straight to the Promised Land of freedom, they wandered in the desert for forty years while they learned how to truly depend on God.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to spend the next forty years of my life learning this lesson. I want to stop grumbling about my weight and embrace this valuable lesson to walk in the freedom of God’s provision. As we apply this same process to our struggles, we can find that God is the perfect portion for everything we need, every longing we have, every desperate desire of our soul.

God is there when my husband and I have a big argument, my kids are unruly, a business deal doesn’t go as planned, or the bills start piling up. Instead of grabbing a tub of ice cream or ordering pizza, I ask God to be my daily portion in these tough times.

For example, if your boyfriend breaks up with you, instead of inhaling a big bowl of chips and dip, ask God to be your daily portion of companionship in this lonely time. “God, I hate this rejection and hurt. Sometimes I feel like the loneliness is going to swallow me alive. I can’t deal with this on my own. Will You be my portion of healing and companionship just for this day?”

Or, when your kids are driving you crazy, instead of chowing down three pieces of chocolate cake, you might pray, “God, I so desperately want to be a patient mom. I don’t know if I can be a patient mom the rest of my life. But with Your portion of strength I can rely on You in this moment and not try to medicate my shortcomings with food.”

Whatever your situation, ask God to be your daily portion of companionship, provision, and patience — over and over. Soon, you’ll find yourself walking in victory over those things instead of looking back over tears and a pile of cake crumbs.

Comments

1. I missed Day 3..could someone send it to me. Thanks..hstemler@windstream.net

2. I’m on day 14 of letting God win for me. He has been my daily portion, but I did not understand it like this until today. Thank you so much for these challanges. Today I went to a ladies tea where our choir sang. I’m allergic to so many foods.. I mean I get very sick if I eat them. The only think I could have there was grapes (which really was on the edge due to insulin resistance and coffee.. ) but I was fine. The company was great, The singing wonderful and the food beautiful. It’s a gift to be able to enjoy the sight of food even when I can’t eat it!!

3. Hi! I am doing Made to Crave in conjunction with Weight Watchers. Portion control, being aware of when I am eating, what I am eating and why I am eating, writing down what I eat and planning what I will eat are real “issues” for me. These devos are really helping. Actually, I am more successful with the Weight Watchers program because of Made to Crave and the help I am getting from the book and devos. I had been feeling that something was not clicking for me, there was something more that I needed to put in place in order to be successful and then I found this book and realized that I had been leaving GOD out of my efforts and plans. Haven’t been able to locate someone to be my accountability partner yet—everyone I have approached thinks this whole idea of seeking God’s help regarding eating and exercise and glorifying God in that area of life is taking things way too far. Since I have started working through Made to Crave and using it along with Weight Watchers I have lost over 7 pounds easily and I am seeing results at the scale and in my heart and life.

• Renee Martin says:

Hi Lee Ann,

I too am doing WW with Made to Crave. I also haven’t found an accountablity partner who understands. We could possibly be each other’s accountability partner via email and/or on the phone. Email me at rhmartin727@verizon.net if you are interested.

• You have the same story as I. I kept doing weight watchers and was somewhat successful however felt something missing. This book was an answer to my prayers. It really gets to the heart of the matter. I am learning to trust God more and more through this process. Each day brings with it our portion and problems of which I am more and more easily opening my hands and releasing them to Him. Out of fear and lack of trust, I used to stock pile foods in my cabinets and fridge. As I trust in Him more and more the stockpiling bondage has been lifting. I now see half full cabinets and fridge of which is proof that I am growing in trust for my daily portion. I love this nonscale victory that comes from my growing relationship with Him. Thank you Lysa for being a vessel and an answer to many prayers.

• I am trying to respond to Lee Ann. I am also looking for an accountability partner. I still don’t have a specific plan like Weight Watchers or a low-carb diet, BUT I do know that I want God to be my portion, my only Comforter, my Victory. I want to grow more trusting and more obedient in my relationship with Him. I know that He is my only hope of deliverance from my old eating patterns and habits. He has brought me from 200 pounds to a much healthier 160. I know the scales should not be my guide here but God alone. I would really appreciate someone to talk with at least once a week and someone who will pray for me and me for her. I see Lee Ann is taking this challenge at approximately the same time I am and hopefully we could connect. Thank You Lysa
      for obeying God and writing your book which is helping so many of us to draw nearer in our walk with Him.

• WW is part of your accountability team! Great resource!!

• Hi Lee Ann and other WW buddies,

I too am doing Made to Crave and WW together. It seems every week she is hitting on some of my own challenges. I have just started the series through church and have found my struggles have lessen. I am almost at goal weight but still had feeling of being angry and deprived. My attitude was not good. I knew I had to tackle the emotional as well as the physical side of my eating in order to be successful. This is definitely helping me stay focused and happy. Lysa has been reading my mind and saying the the exact same words I have spoken. I just laugh when I’m in the session and I hear her say what I had just complained about that morning in my meetings. Gods hand in my life 🙂

• I am right there with you. God is right there to help us if we reach out to Him I’ve tried weight watchers several times and failed, but with God all things are possible. I’ll be praying for you.
      Kathy

4. WOW!!!!!!!!! I really needed this message today! Merry Christmas!

5. Thank you and Merry Christmas 🙂

6. I would also like an accountibility partner. I need to find one who will not allow me to make excuses.

7. I am incredibly discouraged this morning. My diet and eating healthy has been hard. I love food. I use food for comfort, for celebration, for just about every excuse in the book. I have stuck to it for two weeks. I was kind of ready for the scales this morning. I have been “good” and thought I “deserved” a loss. I didn’t get that… I guess it has something to do with my thyroid or I don’t know, but I am so not happy about the hard work not paying off. I guess just like the children of Israel did. God is my portion. God is my portion. God is my portion.

• Joanne Hynek says:

Christie, Keep on keeping’ on. God will see you through. He stays by my side and listens to me as I listen to Him. Some days are discouraging, but are becoming fewer as I learn to respond to what He is telling me. I found the secret of taking the time to be quiet for a time every day so I can hear what He wants to say!
      Blessings,
      Joanne

• Thank you for the encouragement! I am so frustrated, but I know God is in control.

• Joanne Hynek says:

I, too, feel the frustration Christie. I have to really concentrate not only on portion control, but not taking that second portion because the first one was so small! Oh what a vicious cycle we sometimes create for ourselves. My favorite go to scrip is “God is my portion” He truly is the one in control!

• Cassie Middleton says:

I feel your frustration! My scale isn’t moving. I lost 7 lbs in the beginning and now my scale is stuck, it even went up a lb this week when my efforts have been consistant. I think God is showing me that I need to trust Him and not worry about the scale. Why am I so addicted to stepping on that scale every morning, I give it way too much thought and power. I know I’d be better off without it, but I just need the courage to give it up, give me strength, Lord.

• Gloria Nelson says:

I think the scale was invented by the devil. Why else would we let it dictate our feelings, emotions and well-being for the day? Throw it out! I read in another book somewhere that the scale should only be used to “confirm what you already know” (i.e. a significant weight loss)

8. Joyce Grieser says:

I really need to rely on God daily. This reading has opened my eyes and makes me want to keep going. I travel 1 hour to and from work each day. That hour has become very boring the more years I travel it. I have realized that when I am bored I eat, so everyday I would think..hmmm what sounds good. I would use daily stops such as a fast food place, the gas station, or the grocery store as an excuse to find something yummy that I could eat before I got home. I now realize I am not truly hungry I am bored. Since I have been reading these entrys, when I feel bored I have been changing my radio station to praise God. If the radio does not satisfy me then I fall back on my praise and worship CD. Changing my focus has been a tremendous step, but bringing a healthy snack for the way home, such as an apple or carrots satisfies me until dinner with my family. I no longer feel guilty at the dinner table because I have not already ate a full meal on my way home. Thank you for helping my open my eyes and redirect them where they belong.
    Joyce

• I too am a “closet” eater… And it is such a vicious cycle. We are in a battle and you have been victorious!! Joyce I want to thank you for your post and that getting that down on paper or just posted I hope has brought freedom to you but please know that I feel like I am not alone from your post. Thank you!!! Fighting one day at a time, depending on Him!!

9. As I read several of these post I felt in my heart that several of us are on the same page. I would love to have an accountable partner or 2 or 3. I have been on WW for almost 3 years. I have lost from 230 pounds down to 165 pounds as of last Friday. I too feel there is still something missing. I ordered the devotional book and I love it. I just know there is several here that could be a help to me and me them. My email address is brendachain@gmail.com. Please Lee Ann, Renee, Cindy, any of you or all contact me.

• Hi Brenda………….below is a post from Face Book by Lynda Schaffer Tesney posted in Lynda Tesney 2012 Health & Fitness Accountability. In a post a few weeks back she asked people to friend her on facebook for accountability. This might be what you are looking for. Hope it works for you! Stay blessed Brenda!

Lynda Schaffer Tesney
      9:18am Feb 7
      The word of the week this week in Made To Crave is Peace! Peace about ourselves and how God made us, peace with God! Make good choices this week everyone. If you have a bad day, pick yourself up and move on. I had a kinda bad weekend with my food choices but maybe not terrible. Still exercising daily though and that feels good!

10. Your Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against You. (Ps 119:11)
    I have become aware of the importance of having His Word memorized and ready to draw on to encourage me and strengthen my resolve to overcome temptation. So my goal this year is to memorize Scripture beginning with the what I read on page 123 in Made to Crave…. John 15:9-12 ……..that my joy may be complete……… without ’emotional eating’.

11. Beautifully said….I crave God to be my portion. Thank you Lysa for searching the depths of your heart and soul and sharing with us.

12. I have to admit Lysa, this is not my strong suit when it comes to weight loss………..that is finding God to be my portion. I’m good in self-will/will power………..in fact I’m so good at it that I try to go it alone more than relying on God as my portion. I’m liking to think of HIM as my portion because one of my areas of struggle is portion control. I think I should leave a spot on my plate for the Lord to remind me that HE is my portion and to fill up with HIM and not food. The illustration sounds good but how am I going to fill up? They say nothing happens in a vacuum so I have to DO something to facilitate the filling. This blog is one way and the Made to Crave study is another. Soooooooooooooo I better get off this blog and into my study as this is the morning I am meeting with my little group to go over chapter 3 “From Desperation to Determination”! 🙂 Trust we all have a God-blessed day filling up with HIM and not food!

13. what a wonderful insight. To have God as my portion. Sometimes it just takes the right sentence at the right time and the right way to get through the day in God’s way is before me. Thank You Lysa!

14. Along with this 21 day challenge I added a 30 day Bible reading program. Every day my first portion is from him.

15. As I read todays word, I realize my struggle : I HAVE BEEN WANDERING IN THE DESERT! and unfortunately dessert. Seeking my portion (s) from food and not God. Thank you for helping me open my eyes and heart, I feel like I am able to let this struggle go and turn to Him and Him alone. I know I cant do it alone but with the help of the Holy Spirit and this blog I will be victorious!

16. I am getting ready to go to family reunion and need to remember that God is my portion and that I don’t need to overindulge just because there is an abundance of food. I am struggling to stay faithful during this journey. It’s so easy to just say that God doesn’t need to worry about this “issue” with me. But, I know that I am doing wrong by him, my family, and myself by not continuing on this journey. God grant me the strength of faith to rely on you and not food. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

17. Have just started the book and after being a retired Weight Watchers leader of 10 years I can say that I actually feel strong again in my journey to get back to my goal. I repeated a prayer yesterday, Lord you are the sweet taste that I need. I have really enjoyed getting reconnected to the Lord. I too have been wandering in the desert and desserts, and have needed a new direction and spiritual support. Want to get a Made to Crave bible study going in my church, filling myself with God’s love and not with food nothing better to share with others than that! Thanks Lysa!

18. Also remember when the Israelites grumbled for meat and God sent them so much it was horrible? Sometimes He shows us that craving anything save Him is so unsatisfying. Moderation is the key and not making an idol out of any created thing, including food. Thanks Lysa for these daily encouragements during this time when we need it the most.

19. Wow!
    I’d never thought of it that way but you are so right.
    Thank you for being real, for being generous and for sharing this with us.

20. I am so grateful for all you ladies b/c I am also doing WW & with Made to Crave I have more motivation & strength to keep with it & not get down b/c I gain a 1 lb. I did the Made to Crave OBS a few months back but we did not have FB groups & I think for me personally this has made a major difference in my life & journey. I felt the first time around I was the only 1 with weight issues but now with this In between group I am so glad I stuck with it b/c this group does give me faith & believe in myself that I will lose the weight & keep it off.

21. Barbara says:

I think the key here is “in this moment.” So often my mind runs away to all the things that could happen and all the what-ifs. I bring tomorrow’s worries and cares into today, but God hasn’t equipped me to deal with tomorrow. He’s already there, so I don’t have to. My challenge is to rest, the ultimate oxymoron. I need to relax and let God be God, and when the temptation comes to shove my emotions down and cover them with a piece of pie, I need to take a deep breath and take all that to the Lord. And He’ll gently say, “Sweet girl, right here and now, I’ve got you. You don’t have anything to worry about. Come rest in my arms and let ME deal with the troubles. I’ll give you the strength you need.” Thank you precious Father for always being enough.